The Army has expressed regret over the loss of lives in the Handwara firing and has initiated an inquiry into the incident as Jammu& Kashmir chief minister Mehbooba Mufti on Wednesday raised the issue with defence minister Manohar Parrikar.
“Army deeply regrets the unfortunate loss of life.The matter will be investigated and anybody found guilty, will be dealt as per the law,” an Army official said about the incident that has led to anger in the valley.
Chief minister Mehbooba Mufti who met Parrikar said, “The incident is “very unfortunate. I spoke to defence minister. He assured me that a probe will be initiated and the culprits will be punished.”
“The family will be compensated. Such incidents should not happen in the future,” Mehbooba said after meeting Parrikar.
Earlier on Wednesday, the death toll in the incident mounted to three as an injured woman succumbed to her injuries.
Raja Begum (55) of Langate succumbed to injuries at SKIMS Hospital here in the early hours, a police official said.
He said four others injured in the incident were undergoing treatment at various hospitals.
Two youth were killed on Tuesday in firing by the Army on protestors in Handwara town.
Protests erupted in Handwara town of Kupwara district, following allegations that a girl student, on her way home, was molested by soldiers posted in an Army picket in the town, official sources said.
Two youth — Iqbal Ahmad and Nayeem Bhat — were killed in the firing.